1. This document outlines the company’s policy relating to telephone communication.
2. Applicable legislation is the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000, Communications Act 2003 (Section 127), Protection from Harassment Act 1997 and the Malicious Communications Act 1988.
3. We communicate by telephone with customers and on behalf of our customers with other businesses.
4. We may be appointed to collect payment from small businesses or sole traders that use the same telephone number for both personal and work activity. Where we have been given a personal number in error and are provided with an alternative business number by the call recipient we will delete the personal number from our records and use the business number instead.
5. Our staff will remain polite and professional at all times. We expect the individuals we communicate with to do the same.
6. At our discretion, we may record telephone conversations to prevent and detect criminal activity, especially activity relating to abusive or threatening behaviour to our staff. We do not need consent to make recordings for this purpose.
7. We have a duty to reduce the risk of any form of violence to our staff, including verbal abuse and threats. If a member of staff experiences aggressive or threatening language on any call they have instructions to commence recording and inform the other party that this is the case before attempting to diffuse the situation and return to the purpose of the call. If abusive or threatening language continues, our staff member will terminate the call and escalate the issue to a manager.
8. We have zero tolerance of the abuse of or threats to our staff and reserve the right to report any offences to the police, providing the recording in evidence.